Thursday, March 08, 2012

Is it my NDP leadership voting package? Or a near-replica mailing from candidate Paul Dewar?

Is imitation still the sincerest form of flattery when it comes to the federal New Democratic Party leadership campaign material?

I have been waiting patiently for my NDP voting package and yesterday it arrived - in duplicate.

Or so I thought.  Below are the two packages I received in the mailbox the same day:


Paul Dewar direct mail above and NDP voting ballot package below it 
As a former direct mail consultant, I can't fault Paul Dewar or his campaign for wanting to get his mailing opened and positively influence voters in his favour - that's the goal of any mail package.

But direct mail experience has also taught that misleading or attempting to mislead people about the contents of a mailing can backfire.  

An NDP mailing in the distant past that looked like an official letter from then-Revenue Canada about your income tax blew up and was raised as an issue in Parliament - thousands of people were furious, thinking their tax return was being challenged, etc.  

Paul Dewar's name is certainly prominent in the upper left corner but anyone taking a cursory glance might well think it is an official NDP mailing and not from a candidate.  The colours and design are very, very similar.

Once you open it - or even turn it over - it's abundantly clear it's from Paul - so maybe it won't make a difference to members.

But there's no question that the copy-cat design is deliberately intended to get NDP members to open it - presumably because many wouldn't open a mailing that was abundantly clear it was from Paul Dewar.

And that may be the most damaging observation of all.

Lastly, to be fair - full disclosure - I have endorsed Peggy Nash for leader but I certainly respect Paul Dewar and his candidacy.  

And if Peggy or any other candidate sends me a similar NDP look-alike mailing, you'll read about it here too.

.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're reaching at straws a bit there. Hardly think with his name on it, then, as you said, abundantly clear stuff about him (don't know, don't have mine yet) that's it's misleading. Perhaps you're a little too worried your candidate has fallen a bit flat? She's looking a bit tired these days.

Ian said...

I'm surprised you didn't take the minute to black out your address before posting this.

Anonymous said...

Oh phuleez Bill. If something similar happened in other party leaderships, the bloggers here would be whining like stuck pigs.

and yes Bill, deceiving practices are not out of the way for the NDP.

The NDP isn't a choirboy when it comes to honesty in politics, either.

Look at how Adrian Dix managed to pack all of those memberships on the afternoon before the cut off.

and Bill, anyone short of two months in politics can see the differences in the envelopes.

I would classify this as "cute" but not a crime.

But worth keeping as a collectible.

Anonymous said...

Did you see the most recent email from the Topp campaign? It's a message regarding International Women's Day... on a distinctly, Liberal-resemblant banner. And "NDP" are some of the smallest letters on it. Quite insulting.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bill, Ian is right. You should have blacked out your address. Congratulations, you now got every wacko right-winger with knowledge of building a letter bomb delivering their parcel to the post office now...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bill, Ian is right. You should have blacked out your address. Congratulations, you now got every wacko right-winger with knowledge of building a letter bomb delivering their parcel to the post office now...

Congratulations. You've just shown how ignorant you are, and your level of intelligence.

What about elft wing wackos? What would they do?

DPL said...

I got the same item from a second tier candidate just as you have Bill. It arrived same time as the official package for my better half.My official package has yet to arrive.
Not being particularly devious it never occurred to me to find out your address. Heck if I wanted your address I figure the phone book would work. We all support assorted candidates and unlike some political parties, all the candidates will work well with the new leader, who ever gets the nod by the membership.

Bill Tieleman said...

Sorry Ian and Anon 5:20 but I'm listed in the phone book, along with my home phone number - you can find me on Canada 411 as well.

So no reason to black out my address.

Anyone who wants to cause someone trouble can easily find where they live - and I don't choose to live in fear in a democracy.

I've had death threats in the past over my writing and I've had my office broken into and trashed because of my Basi-Virk coverage.

But I never went to an unlisted number or had my address taken out of listings.

Anonymous said...

got the same item from a second tier candidate just as you have Bill. It arrived same time as the official package for my better half.My official package has yet to arrive.

"Second Tier" candidate?

Not being particularly devious it never occurred to me to find out your address. Heck if I wanted your address I figure the phone book would work.

"We all support assorted candidates and unlike some political parties, all the candidates will work well with the new leader, who ever gets the nod by the membership."

Interesting there DPL. Just like Jenny Kwan worked with Carol James who was leader of the BCNDP?

You labeled the originating candidate of your package as a "second tier candidate" Suppose that second tier candidate won the leadership?

The NDP is hardly solidarity. There will be those who are p.o'd about the leadership outcome. Every party ends up with that to one degree or another.

There are still many who are p.o'd about Adrian Dix.