Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thank you - thank you - thank you!

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to everyone who attended Friday night's Bill's 50th Birthday Benefit party for the BC Coalition of People with Disabilities!

It was a great evening, much money was raised for the Coalition and I want to particular thank all the guest speakers for their kind and funny words about me.

More here later but thanks to Senator Larry Campbell, Canadian Labour Congress President Ken Georgetti, Coalition Executive Director Margaret Birrell, my friend Diana Matheson, my wife Shirley Ross and my daughter Erin Coward! Thanks so much too to my mom, Pat Tieleman, for attending from Nanaimo just two days after her 80th birthday!

It was a wonderful event that I'll never forget. I hope to have pictures here in the near future but thanks to everyone who attended and also those who were unable to be there but also bought tickets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a real pleasure to be there. Your daughter Erin's speech was extremely moving. She has composure well beyond her years.

Tossing a few over somewhat playful jabs with Larry was most enjoyable. Always fast on his feet, the Senator is...

Too bad you didn't take a picture of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...since we all took the time to attend.

Did my old pal Gary Lauk locate his pants?

Great people, good fun. The love for you (and the NDP) was palpable.

Many happy returns my friend.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this fund raiser/party on the bccpd web site.

As a person with a disability I would really like to say that I find it frustrating that getting help for disability related issues is directly tied to union support and thus the bccpd is obliged not to seek out new and creative ways to meet the needs of the disabled community.

This issue really should be non partisan. Disabilities can effect any demographic at any time regardless of wallet size and it should be highlited that way. If it was, it may garner more support in the mainstream.

I for one would like to see them focus on the disabled in the work force and 'highlite' our abilities especially in this high tech age we live in.

Anonymous said...

Anon,

I apologize if you misconstrued my comments.....my playful jab at Bill was simply that.

While true there were enough NDPers in the room to choke a large economy, it was a truly non-partisan event, dignified and enjoyable.