Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pat Tieleman - my inspiration - has passed away

Pat Tieleman with son Bill - 1962


Dear friends:


I have lost my dear mother Pat Tieleman this afternoon - an inspiration all my life.

My brothers Ralph and Jack and I were with her when she passed peacefully from this world.

Thank you from my brothers, my wife Shirley, daughter Erin and all our families for your support during this difficult time when Pat courageously battled lung cancer.

Her amazing strength and her ability to maintain not only her composure but a wicked sense of humour right to the end will stay with us the rest of our own lives.

Pat Tieleman left this world a better place with her strong commitment to community and social justice while teaching her children well.

You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well

- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Pat Tieleman - rest in peace - April 18, 1927 - May 26, 2010


The following is Pat Tieleman's obituary, which will be published in newspapers in Nanaimo, Tofino and Ucluelet on June 3rd & 4th.


Tieleman, Patricia

Pat Tieleman passed away May 26, 2010 with her sons Bill, Ralph and Jack at her side in the Palliative Care unit of Nanaimo Regional General Hospital after a short, courageous fight with lung cancer.

Pat was born on April 18, 1927 in Burnaby, much loved by parents Violet and William Baseley.

Pat attended David Lloyd George Elementary and graduated from Magee High School in 1944. She became a Registered Nurse in 1948, graduating from St. Paul’s School of Nursing and completed her post-graduate studies at the University of Chicago, specializing in obstetrics. She also worked in Chicago and Seattle, including at the Group Health Clinic cooperative.

In 1955 her sense of adventure led to nursing in Port Alice, Vancouver Island, where she met RCMP constable Harry Tieleman, the last navigator of the famous RCMP ship the St. Roch when it returned from Halifax to Vancouver through the Panama Canal. Pat and Harry married in 1956.

Sons Bill, Ralph and Jack were born as the family moved to Richmond, then Vancouver and later Abbotsford.

In 1972 the family relocated in Tofino, B.C. where Pat worked in the hospital, Co-Op store, and later the post office while Harry ran Tofino Motors and Happy Harry’s Restaurant. In 1989 they retired to Nanaimo, B.C.

Retirement did not slow Pat down – if anything she was more active as a volunteer. Pat worked with Nanaimo Planned Parenthood, the Thrifty Food’s Sendial delivery program, and to elect NDP MLA Leonard Krog and NDP MP Jean Crowder. Pat also belonged to a widows’ support group, a book club and was a generous donor to many worthy charities.

Pat was predeceased by Harry in 2000 and is survived by sons Bill [Shirley Ross], Ralph, Jack [Janice Porteous], granddaughter Erin Ross Coward, sister-in-law Col Vander Lee in Holland and many cousins around the world.

The family wish to thank all the wonderful staff at the Palliative Care unit, including Dr. Spry and nurses Carol, Annabelle, Angela, Penny, Georgina and Sandra – you made Pat’s final days the best possible and our time with her precious.

Also thanks to Dr. Digney, nurse Claire, Dr. Elekiaby, Pat’s GP Dr. Weisenburger and all others at NRGH who helped care for her. Special thanks to Pat’s friend Noreen Rourke, who was a godsend to her and our family in time of need.

We appreciate all who visited, sent flowers, cards and messages.

By her request there will be no service but Pat said: "Thanks to all my steadfast friends."

Pat and Harry loved Buttertubs Marsh – an amazing oasis of wildlife and nature – in the heart of Nanaimo, so those wishing to honour Pat’s memory can donate to: "The Nanaimo & Area Land Trust – Buttertubs – In Trust", at Nanaimo & Area Land Trust, #8-140 Wallace Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5B1.


Charitable tax receipts will be provided for contributions of $25 or more if requested.

Pat loved the works of William Shakespeare all her life and each summer attended Vancouver’s Bard on the Beach to enjoy a play. One of her favourites was The Tempest and as the play nears its conclusion, we remember Pat in our hearts forever:

Prospero:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and

Are melted into air, into thin air…..We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

* * * * * *

28 comments:

Bookmonkey said...

Bill .... My most sincere condolences for you and your family...

Gerald.

Norm Farrell said...

A sad but inevitable day that most of us experience, eventually. The unhappiness of the loss will slowly give way to pride in a life well lived, that ended in the company of the loved ones who mattered. There truly is no more glorious finale. If she was a hero to you and the others, her real ambition is probably fulfilled. None of us can hope for more.

Anonymous said...

When anyones mother passes on, I feel the loss.

Moms are just glue. They hold our families together. Unfailingly and without an agenda they love unconditionally. No doubt in my mind that your Mom was like that to.

Ron said...

How blessed you have been. The picture says it all.

Condolences from our home to yours.

The Skeptical Guy said...

Bill, please accept my deepest condolences on the passing of your Mom.
condolences for you and your family...

Gary E said...

Words are not enough Bill.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
As you said she left this world a better place. She left you. I don't know the rest of your family,but I imagine they are quite like you, so she left this world a much better place

concerned citizen said...

What a beautiful photograph of you and your Mom - a perfect picture of love, comfort, and contentment - and a lovely written tribute to her as well. Best wishes and condolences to you and your family.

Grant G said...

Stay Strong Mr. Teileman....

Your love of family flows through to your pages, I have no direct words of comfort for you, hang onto your best memories.

She lives in spirit through you, perhaps this story may provide you with a little comfort, you are not alone Mr. Telieman.

http://powellriverpersuader.blogspot.com/2010/05/peaceful-time-in-storm.html

Peace be upon your house.

Anonymous said...

She's not gone Bill. She will always be with you. In your heart, in your mind and quietly sitting on your shoulder wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

my condolences Bill,may her memories keep you strong and bring smiles to you and yours forever.GENUINE.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

GAB

Anonymous said...

A lot of people are thinking of you and your family today Bill.

Keith Reynolds

Bernard said...

My condolences to you and your brother (who I knew way back in the day at CFUV)

I lost my mother suddenly cancer just over a year ago, she was of a similar age and she was an inspiration to anyone that knew her. We feel her passing more now than when it happened.

Keep yourselves together and well.

Bernard

Anonymous said...

Bless you and yours and thank you for all the hard work.

BC Mary said...

Bill,

What a wonderful, glowing photo of Pat Tieleman and her happy son Bill, "back in the day".

Easy to see how special she was.

Blessings.

SharingIsGood said...

Bill,
I humbly offer sincere condolences from my family to you and yours.
Take care,
SharingIsGood

Kim said...

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there, I did not die.

Ian said...

Bill,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss of your mom. She clearly inspired you and knowing your determination, skill and passion she must have been proud.
You have Paul's and my great condolences.
Ian

kootcoot said...

I'm sorry to hear this news, and my thoughts are with you.

As a parent, I know we would always prefer to pre-decease our children. However when it is someone you love it is always too soon. My father died over a decade ago, and he would have been two years older than your mom now, so she did have a good shift - and certainly had a son to cherish.

It is wonderful that you were able to be with her during this difficult time. You are welcome to return to the task at hand whenever you are feeling up to it. I get the impression she would want you to continue your work - but don't cut short the time you need to deal with your loss. We do have a province to take back though!

Karol Traviss said...

Hi Bill,

It is Karol Traviss here from UBC days. I don't think I have seen you since the 70's!

I am in Montreal at a conference and quite oddly a link to this news on your blog popped up on my Google desktop.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your mom. I know the day I lose my mom will be a sad one indeed.

Take care.

tamater sammich said...

I read on House Of Infamy "It says a lot about her, and why you are you, that she "insisted" you attend at least the first day of the trial."

Indeed, it does say a lot.
Thanks mom, for your son Bill.

Willy P said...

My deepest condolences Bill. Your mother raised a son to be very proud of.

horgan said...

My deepest condolences Bill to you and your family. It has not yet a year since my Mom passed away and I still think of dropping in on her for a cup of tea. Those moments are when I remember how important she was to me and how she left her mark on the world. We carry on the work of those who came before us.

John Horgan

Unknown said...

She, through you, as your advisor and editor,has proven to be a reliable source of information for us regarding our pitiful political BC scene.
Pleas accept our condolences extended to you and your family.
Doris and Ron.

Unknown said...

Dear Bill my heart goes out to you & yours may your Mother finally be at peace free from pain & in the arms of the Angels.
Take care Coreen

Unknown said...

Dear Bill I am so sorry for your loss my heart goes out to you & yours. May you Mom be at peace, free from pain & in the arms of the Angels.
Take care Coreen

Bill Tieleman said...

Thanks very much to all of you for your kind comments - they are much appreciated by all our family in this time of loss.

Sue said...

It's hard losing one's mother, but you will feel her spirit surround you from time to time. Be very good -- even gentle -- to yourself, for the next year plus.